Content clarifiers can be added to an online assessment. View a preview of what content clarifiers will look like for students, learn more about creating an online assessment, or discover the smoothest ways to assign student supports. Be sure the test status is Pending before attempting to add clarifiers.
Clarifiers should not be added after test entries have been generated (if bubble sheets for the test have been printed or if a student has begun the online test). Data analysis fields could be inaccurate if changes are made while students are taking an assessment.
1. To add a content clarifier to an online assessment, navigate to the test under the Assessments tab in Aware.
2. Select the questions tab to view available questions and resources in the test editor.
3. To add a content clarifier, highlight the word or short phrase you want to clarify, then select Add New Clarifier. Content clarifiers may be added to resources, questions, answer choices, and as alternative text. Alternative text for math can be applied anywhere Latex is used.
Note: Clarifiers cannot be added through the edit question (the pencil icon). Clarifiers are only added through the questions tab in preview mode.
4. Include a title for your new clarifier. This value is not displayed to the student but used to uniquely identify your clarifiers. If you want to clarify the same word in different contexts, like the word address, which can be a noun or verb, create two different clarifiers. Consider using a naming convention like address (verb) and address (noun). Students will not see your title of the clarifier.
5. Once you have created a clarifier, you can add it again wherever you need to throughout the test. Hover over the dotted underlined text to preview the clarifier. If you edit the clarifier while adding it to any question, that modifier will be changed in every question it is included.
6. Add any additional clarifiers to complete the assessment. To review the location of each clarifier, navigate to the Online tab, then select Content Clarifiers. You can see which questions or resources contain each clarifier. You can edit clarifiers or delete them from this screen also.
If you edit any clarifiers from this screen, each instance will be updated. For example, if you update the clarifier for electrodes in question one (shown below), the clarifier in the resource will also be updated. Consider using multiple clarifiers if needed.
7. To add an image as a content clarifier, select the Add Media icon button in the Edit Clarifier window. Eduphoria recommends images that are 400px x 250px or smaller.
- Content clarifiers can be used in conjunction with interactive response items.
- Content clarifiers will be cloned if a test is copied from one teacher to another. If a clarifier in the initial test is edited by one teacher, the copied test will not see the changes.
- Teachers can view how many unique content clarifiers a student views by adding the Content Clarifier Usage field in data views (located under online administration).
Article is closed for comments.