System administrators can create and set up school calendars, such as instructional and reporting calendars. The information required in the instructional calendar depends on the applications you have purchased because the calendar is used in several Eduphoria applications, including Aware, Forethought, and Strive. The most important information to enter in the school calendar is a start date and an end date for the school year.
Creating Your Instructional Calendar
Step 1: Select Management to access creation for the instructional calendar.
Step 2: Under the Organization tab, select School Calendars. You will see the current month displayed with options in the toolbar. Select Create a New Calendar to begin.
Step 3: In the wizard, enter the following to establish the new instructional calendar:
- Select New Instructional Calendar.
- Select the First Instructional Date.
- Select the Last Instructional Date.
- Choose the number of reporting cycles.
- Select Begin Editing Instructional Calendar.
- Save when you are finished.
Step 4: Under Reporting Year Layouts, select the newly dated calendar to view the instructional days connected to each date within that calendar.
If you are using Aware or Forethought, more calendar setup is needed. You will not need to conduct any more calendar setup for Strive, but be sure you have set the first and last instructional dates correctly.
Note: Instructional calendars are used for Forethought and Strive only; rostering and Aware utilize term cycles in reporting calendars.
Setting up Your Instructional Calendar for Forethought
To set up your instructional calendar for Forethought, follow these steps:
- Identify which days within the calendar will be a student/staff holiday per your district calendar.
- Mark each day with the appropriate Day Type, then click Update Day Information for each day you change. Repeat this process for all holidays, etc.
Note: If you add holidays, these days will not count against technician statistics for requests being open in Helpdesk.
Verify Your Instructional Calendar Dates for Strive
The dates for many Strive reports default to the first and last date of the instructional calendar. When you archive appraisals within Strive, dates will likewise default to the instructional calendar’s first and last date. Start term dates on the correct first date, and end the term the day before the next term starts, leaving no gaps for weekends or breaks.
Setting up Your Reporting Calendar for Aware
You will need to set up the reporting calendar for Aware.
Step 1: Under Reporting Year Layouts, select your new calendar, then select New Reporting Calendar.
Step 2: Name your reporting calendar, then set the number of terms, cycles, and grade reports per cycle.
Step 3: Click Finish when complete.
The reporting calendar also influences the roster import process. The roster tool automatically sets the term to display if active rosters are imported outside the reporting calendar’s start and end date. Teachers will then see incoming students once the roster data for the new school year begins importing, and they will continue to see rostered students after the end of school.
The reporting calendar still determines when terms change to the second term, third term, and summer school.
- Any day the calendar is not active (over instructional breaks, weekends, etc.), teachers will not be able to view student information.
- Start term dates on the correct first date, and end the term the day before the next term starts, leaving no gaps for weekends or breaks.
Note: Ensure you enter the year correctly and that all date ranges are sequential.