Creating a New Template
- Click Evaluation Templates under Configuration Options.
- Click New Template in the bottom left.
- Enter a title for the template and select the template document type.
For a new document, click the option to Create Blank Template.
Once you complete the wizard, you will begin editing the template. Click Next and then Finish. Once the template is created it will open and show three tabs.
Setting the Framework
On the Template Information tab, you will select the framework for the template.
A framework is needed if you will be connecting elements of a process. (EX: T-TESS connects the goals, walkthroughs, observations, professional development, and summative based on the T-TESS framework of domains and dimensions.)
Note: Not all evaluation processes and templates need a framework.
While on the Template Information tab, you may want to rename or change basic information about a form template.
- Change the Name of the Form:
Edit the title under the Template details.
- Change the Template Icon:
Edit the icon under the Template details by clicking the icon to pull up other icon choices.
- Delete a Template:
Select Delete Template from the top menu bar.
- Change how the template is scored:
Change from Simple, not scored to Advanced, with calculations.
View Setting Up a Template for Scoring for more information
After making changes to Template Options, click Save to save changes.
Select Update Existing Documents to push updates out to users.
Editing Template Options
Template options differ between types (reflection, walkthrough, observation, summative, evaluation). Check the boxes next to options specific to each template. Select Save to save changes.
Building the Template
Evaluation templates are composed of groups, matrix groups, and items.
A group contains one or more items. For instance, a section on a form entitled "Classroom Management" may contain several check boxes about how a teacher manages their classroom. The entire section "Classroom Management" is the group, and the individual check boxes would each be an item. A group can also be used to create a header for a form without attaching items to it.
The image below is a preview of a New Group including an Instruction box, 2 checkboxes, and 1 checkbox with a text field.
Matrix groups are special groups designed to store information in columns and rows format. You can have as many rows as desired, but you can only have up to five columns. Ideally, these are used to rate staff in various areas across up to five levels of performance.
Below is a preview image of how Matrix Groups appear as columns and rows in a form.
Items can be checkboxes, check boxes with text, comment boxes, or instructions.
Creating and Editing New Groups
- Choose New from the drop-down list and choose New Group or New Matrix Group
- Type in a name for the new group under Group Name and click Update
- Continue adding as many groups as you need
- Use the Up or Down arrows to change the group order
- Click on the group name again to rename the group
- Click the red X to delete a group or specific item.
Creating and Editing Items within Groups
- Select the group you wish to add items to.
- Choose New from the drop-down list and choose New Item.
- Type in the name of the new item under Item Name and choose the type of item from the drop-down box.
- Types of items:
- Check Box - allows the evaluator to make selections by clicking the box.
- Check Box with Text - allows the evaluator to type text next to the Check Box. A common example would be when you have an 'Other' option and the evaluator needs to enter text. Note: Check box with Text does not function on handheld devices.
- Comment Box - allows the evaluator to enter text, and you will need to select how many lines tall this box should be.
- Instructions - instructions about the template itself.
- Goals - will pull enhanced goal information from the Goals tab into a form
- Types of items:
- Select Update to add the item to that group.
- Continue adding as many items as needed.
- Use the Up or Down arrows to change the item order.
- Click the item name again to rename the item.
- Click the red X to delete an item.
Adding Appraiser Comments to a Reflection Template
To allow the appraiser to make comments on a Reflection document (one initiated by the appraisee) you will create a new item and select Comment Box as the item type. Then use the dropdown menu to select the Comment Type and set it to Appraiser Comments.
Once you have added all the necessary groups and items for those groups, you can use the Preview button to see what the new template will look like. Remember to click Save in order to save changes to the template.
Use the Delete Template button at the top should you need to delete this template.
As you change the template, it will not modify the existing evaluations created using this template. However, if you wish to retroactively update all existing evaluations that have used this template to match your changes, then click Update Existing Documents to update any walkthrough templates already completed. Use caution when updating a template, as you can erase information.
Note: In order for your new Evaluation template to be available to the Appraiser, you will need to connect it to an Appraisee Type that will be using that template for evaluations.