The ability to copy prior observation data into the forms will save time and provide a starting point from the observation(s) for completing the summary of the year.
Watch this step-by-step video.
Using an Existing Summative Template
The person with the Appraisal Administrator role in your district will need to complete these steps to activate the ability for an appraiser to import data from observation documents to the summative form.
- Select the Summative Template
- Select the Template Options tab
- Check the box "Import existing observation data when summative is created"
- Click Save
Create a Summative to Match the Observation Template
Some districts may use a summative template that more closely resembles the observation template to ensure comments and ratings copy over.
Creating a new summative template allows you to copy an observation template. This will ensure you have the best possible outcome for copying information from the Observation to the Summative.
Note: This is not recommended if any Appraiser has already used the existing Summative form. Be sure to check this before creating a new Summative.
- Create New Template.
- Copy Existing Template.
- Select the Observation Template.
- Add any additional info to the new Summative Template (such as Domain 4).
- Update the Appraisee Type with the new Summative Template.
For ratings to copy from the Observation to the Summative, ensure you have connected the matrix rows to the dimensions in both the Observation and the Summative templates.
Scored Vs. Not Scored
- If your template is scored and the ratings have a numerical value, it will copy over based on the numerical value in the matrix. If there is more than one observation, it will average the scores and round up in favor of the teacher.
- If your template is NOT scored, then the ratings DO NOT have a value. It will pick the most frequently selected rating.
- Example: If you have three observations, and in question #2 (matrix), two appraisers selected ‘proficient’ and one selected ‘developing’, the template would copy the ‘proficient’ rating over because it was selected more than once.
- Example: If you have multiple observations and in question #2 (matrix) you have one ‘proficient’, one ‘accomplished’, and another that is ‘developing’, the answer will be randomly selected.
- To copy comments as well as ratings, tag the comments/evidence boxes.
- If you use a template with separate evidence for each dimension, select that dimension individually.
- To copy comments and/or evidence for the entire domain, check all dimensions in that domain.
- Appraisers may need to delete some comments/evidence that copy over to more than one dimension.
After you have enabled the option to import observation data into the summative and ensured that it will work with your templates, you will want to notify your Appraisers. You can see how copying observation data works for Appriasers.